Thursday, 16 July 2026

If Questions for the Soul

 

Book Review by Myra Guca - LINK HERE 

I adore questions! ... at least those which provoke Thought.
No wonder then, that I gravitated to, "If Questions for the Soul" by best-selling authors Evelyn McFarlane and James Saywell.

While I don’t go ‘round with the book in one hand and a virtual microphone in the other; I do find it therapeutic, in partnership with prayer, to exercise these old brain cells. Often times, the questions serve to put my mind in a more peaceful place just prior to sleep.

Today’s post isn’t intended to solicit anyone else’s (deeply personal) answers. That would be rude, wouldn't it? Perhaps, the publisher says it best:

The ultimate task we face in life is the process of finding and accepting our true selves, our souls. It’s often too scary, too overwhelming, or too time-consuming to begin the whole introspective process of self-discovery. So we often don’t look. But what we forget – or maybe never know – about soul-searching is that this process can be deeply rewarding.

Here’s but a sampling.

  • If you had to pick the most sacred spot you’ve ever seen, where would it be?

  • If you could have met one religious figure from history, who would you choose?

  • If you were to add an 11th Commandment, what would it be?

  • If you were to describe the time or activity that makes you feel most spiritual, what would you say it was?

  • If you could have prevented one religious event, which one would you pick?

  • If you were to make a religious site out a place that currently isn’t one, which would it be?

  • If you were to select the religious symbol that means the most to you personally, what would you choose?

  • If you could add one annual religious holiday, what would it be for and when would it be?
  • 7 comments:

    1. Thought-provoking, indeed, Myra. Those questions are ones to definitely ponder deeply. I think I just might have to order this book. Thanks!

      ReplyDelete
    2. These are very powerful questions. A subject for time for reflections, each one of them.

      Thank you so much, Myra, for highlighting this book.

      God bless.

      ReplyDelete
    3. What thought-provoking questions, Myra.Thanks for sharing this. For the sake of comment, I'll respond to this one: "If you were to describe the time or activity that makes you feel most spiritual, what would you say it was?"

      In the pre-dawn dark of most mornings, I wake before my husband. Not wanting to disturb him by getting out of bed, I begin my quiet time with the Lord right there, curled under the quilt, meeting Him in the "garden" of my spirit, so to speak. Using the Lord's prayer as my outline, I begin to pray, using all the phrases Jesus gave to us to personalize for whatever I feel, need, or anticipate to have to do with the day ahead of me.

      This practice makes me "feel spiritual" because Jesus meets me there in the darkness before anyone else tries to claim my attention. It helps me get off to a good start.

      ReplyDelete
    4. These are fabulous questions.

      Barbara, your practice is an excellent one! I try to do something similar before getting up, although I am often distracted, especially as the cat decides my wake up time is his breakfast time no matter what.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Bom dia, Victor
      Excelente resenha de Myra; deve ser um ótimo livro. Aprendemos muito com as perguntas. Um forte abraço.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. TRANSLATION: Good morning, Victor. Excellent review of Myra; It must be a great book. We learn a lot by asking questions. A strong hug.

        Thank you Lucinalva. God bless you.

        Delete

    We like to hear from you. Please comment here. Anonymous comments accepted. Please be kind.

    Seeing things God's way

      SERMON BY FATHER JONATHAN E MOORE - LINK HERE 22nd Sunday of the Year 2026           Seeing things God’s way     “Try to see it my way...