Thursday, 27 August 2026

Holy Communion

 

Article by Michael Simmonds ofs “Secular Franciscan Order”

Holy Communion

As a Baptised Catholic I approach the altar at Mass for my soul to be nourished with the living Flesh and Blood of Jesus Christ, as commanded by Jesus Himself at the Last Supper, when He said:        

“This is My Body which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of Me.” and “This cup that is poured out for you is the New Covenant in My Blood.” [Luke 22:19-20]  And earlier Jesus had said:                  “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you [John 6:53]. “For My Flesh is true food and My Blood is true drink”. [John 6:55]

This is commonly referred to as” RECEIVING HOLY COMMUNION”, but to be more accurate it is receiving “THE HOLY EUCHARIST”. I return to my place and then I begin my Holy Communion, which is chatting with Jesus in my private “Chat Room”.

The Holy Eucharist is FOOD. It is FOOD FROM HEAVEN. We can actually chew this food. However, if I were to return to my place and did not “Chat with Jesus”, I feel I could not say that I had “had Holy Communion”. The Catholic belief is that the Holy Eucharist is Heavenly Bread and can be seen and touched and eaten! Holy Communion cannot be seen or touched, but is an experience of a private conversation with Jesus who is God!

For this private conversation I have with Jesus, Who is God, I need a period of SILENCE because Jesus listens best in silence and speaks to us individually in silence. We need to teach our children the importance of this silence when they receive the Holy Eucharist, especially for the first time. Then we should not talk. We should talk only to Jesus and not to each other, especially about secular things. We should talk only to Jesus whom we have just invited into our inner, private Chat Room. So, just as I feed Brother Body with earthly food, now I feed my sister Soul with heavenly nourishment – Christ’s living FLESH, BLOOD, SOUL and DIVINITY! [So that I may have that “life” that Jesus refers to in John 6:53]

If this is new to you, I suggest you read John Chapter 6 and Luke 22 slowly and carefully and see what you think.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May He show His Face to you and be merciful to you.             

May He turn his countenance to you and give you peace. 

May the Lord bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We like to hear from you. Please comment here. Anonymous comments accepted. Please be kind.

Holy Communion

  Article by Michael Simmonds ofs “Secular Franciscan Order” Holy Communion As a Baptised Catholic I approach the altar at Mass for my sou...